There are many ways to make your home smell amazing, and using a hoover disc is one of the best ways to do so. In addition to cleaning your home, your hoover will emanate a gorgeous, scented perfume that will leave your home smelling gorgeous. You can buy them, but it’s always more fun to make them yourself.
Here’s how to make your own hoover discs with fragrance oil in 4 simple steps:
- Make a felt hoover disc with essential oils.
- Make a hoover disc from a sponge.
- Make a cardboard hoover disc.
- Use fragrance oil on your hoover filter.
In the rest of this article, I’ll give you an idea of the different ways you can make your own scented hoover discs at home. The steps are all simple, so keep reading to make sure your home smells lovely.
Covered in this Article:
1. Make a Felt Hoover Disc With Essential Oils
Felt is an excellent purchase for those crafty DIY projects, and it’s inexpensive to boot. You can find decent felt in many different colours and textures at your local craft store or browse through Amazon to discover a wide selection of the same.
For example, these DIYR Coloured Felt Fabric Sheets from Amazon are inexpensive and easy to cut into the required size and shape. They come in a wide variety of colours, and you’ll even have some leftovers for your next DIY project.
To make a hoover disc with felt, you’ll first need some essential oils. A great option is lavender, which is probably the most popular choice. Lavender promotes a healthy sleep cycle, makes you feel relaxed, and is even known to help ease anxiety symptoms. As such, lavender oil is an excellent choice for a felt hoover disc (source: Very Well Mind).
You’ll also need some cornstarch. Cornstarch isn’t necessarily required, but it’s a good option if you want your felt hoover disc to be a bit more solid (source: Hawk Hill).
Follow the steps below to make a felt hoover disc with essential oils:
- Start by mixing up a teaspoon of cornstarch with a bit of water. You want the mixture to be fairly thin so you can spread it easily onto the felt. Additionally, it shouldn’t be gloopy.
- Cut out your felt squares into little circles. You can use standard kitchen scissors for this step if you don’t happen to have craft scissors.
- Put a few drops of your favourite essential oil onto the circles. They shouldn’t be thoroughly drenched — just enough to soak them slightly. Remember, a little oil goes a long way.
- Allow them to dry flat for an hour or so. Once they’re dry, you can use a small paintbrush to brush on some of the cornstarch mixture.
- Leave them for a couple of hours to dry on a flat surface. Once they’re dry, you can add them to the filter in your vacuum cleaner or put them directly in the vacuum bag, depending on the type of hoover you have.
So there you have it — cute little discs that will keep your home smelling lovely every time you hoover. Just remember to swap them out every couple of months to keep the smell fresh and clean.
2. Make a Hoover Disc From a Sponge
You can also make hoover discs from sponges. The only real difference between this and the felt discs is that you should put less fragrance into the sponges since they’re super absorbent already.
Follow these instructions to make a hoover disc from a sponge:
- Cut out your sponges into little circles like you would for felt hoover discs. You can use any kind of sponge for this, as long as it’s clean and hasn’t been used before.
- Soak the circular sponges in water. Squeeze out all the excess water and wait for them to dry completely. This process might take anywhere from an hour to a few hours, so be patient and wait for them to harden completely.
- Once the sponges have hardened, you can add your fragrance oils. Since the oils tend to be very strong, don’t use more than a few drops. Remember: It’s easier to add oils than to remove them!
- Wait for them to dry entirely again before using. You can place them directly in the bag or inside the filter for the best results.
3. Make a Cardboard Hoover Disc
This process is pretty much the same as the steps you would take to make the felt discs. The only real difference is you don’t need to use cornstarch since cardboard is already very stiff. Put a few drops of essential fragrance oil on each circular cardboard disc and let it dry.
You’ll need to ensure they’re thick enough since they might be more prone to breakage than felt or sponge hoover discs.
4. Use Fragrance Oil on Your Hoover Filter
If you aren’t the crafty type, there’s a way to make your home smell great without using discs. If you have a filter disc already in your hoover, you can just put a few tiny drops of fragrance oil directly on the filter. You’ll want to ensure you don’t wholly drench it since this might interfere with the hoover’s function — just a few tiny drops will do.
It’s usually not recommended to put any kind of liquids inside your hoover bag. If your hoover doesn’t have a filter disc already installed, you should use something absorbent like felt or sponge rather than pouring liquid into the bag (source: Home Steady).
Additionally, you can use perfume instead of essential fragrance oils if you wish. This probably won’t last as long as fragrance oils, but if you’re looking for a quick fix, you can try this option. You can use the perfume in the same way as you would fragrance oils, and it’s recommended to use either felt, cardboard, or sponge to get the best results.
If you’re looking for a way to keep your home smelling fresh, making hoover discs is a great option. You’ll be keeping your floors clean and making everything smell good, too.