Unwanted facial hair can be annoying and frustrating, as well as knocking your self-confidence, but it’s nothing to be ashamed about! Everyone grows hair on their face, but if it is something that you’re conscious about there are ways of removing it.
Shaving your facial hair can cause it to appear to grow back thicker, as well as the results only lasting a few days. Waxing your face may be a better option as results can last anywhere from 2-4 weeks and won’t make your hair grow back any thicker.
If you’re unsure what to look for in a facial waxing kit, don’t worry! I’ve put together a list of the 3 best waxes for your face that are available in the UK, and answered some commonly asked questions. Carry on reading for more information!
Veet Face Cold Wax Strips For Sensitive Skin
These wax strips by Veet are formulated specifically for the face and sensitive skin. They’re infused with Sweet Almond Oil and Vitamin E that soothe and hydrate your skin whilst removing hair, leading to less irritation and sore skin.
These strips will give results for up to 4 weeks and are suitable for removing hairs as short as 1.5mm. The pack comes with 20 strips, which can be cut into shape if you need a smaller strip for those hard-to-reach areas, such as eyebrows or the upper lip.
A tip for those who suffer from sensitive skin is to make sure the area that you’re waxing is completely dry before applying the strip. You can do this by applying talcum powder to the area, wiping away and then applying the wax strip. This also adds another layer underneath the wax so it can help to avoid removing any skin and causing irritation too.
- Formulated specifically for the face
- Made for sensitive skin
- Grabs and removes hair as short as 1.5mm
- Contains Sweet Almond Oil and Vitamin E hydrate and soothe the skin
- Gives results for up to 4 weeks
- Comes with 20 strips
- Quick and easy
- Can leave a wax residue on the skin, but this can be removed with the included wax cleansing strips
Jolen Sensitive Skin Facial Strip Wax
This sensitive skin facial strip wax by Jolen comes with 16 wax strips and is suitable for use on the upper lip, chin and brows. Infused with Grapeseed oil and Chamomile to fight irritation and soothe sensitive skin. Using Chamomile on the skin can help soothe and help the skin to regenerate quicker as it contains powerful antioxidants.
Grapeseed oil ensures that the natural Vitamin E and Vitamin C within your skin are effective at preserving and protecting your skin.
The wax strips come pre-coated and can be warmed up by rubbing them in your hands, or heating them up with a hairdryer for a few seconds to melt the wax before applying them to your face.
Many reviewers have said that they will never use another product other than this one, as they have never had a reaction when they have used the strips correctly. One reviewer has said that these are the only strips that don’t break out her super sensitive skin, whilst removing hair easily and pain-free.
- Infused with chamomile and grapeseed oil
- 16 wax strips
- Plenty of great reviews
- Made for sensitive skin
- To fit areas of the face
- Doesn’t come with wax cleansing strips to remove excess wax left on the skin. This can be removed with baby oil.
Waxing Kit by FEMIRO
This product is slightly different from the ones mentioned, as it isn’t pre-coated strips. This waxing kit by FEMIRO comes with everything you need to wax your face at home, including a wax heater, 3 bags of hard wax beads, 1 bag of wax blocks and 20 waxing spatulas.
This wax is suitable for use all over the body, as well as the face. The Jasmine scented hard wax blocks are formulated for use on fine, thin hair, such as the upper lip, eyebrows and the chin, whilst the lavender chips can be used for the rest of the body.
The wax heater has a 160°F – 240°F heat setting for all types of waxes, that heats the wax up faster than other wax heaters and will shut off automatically when it reaches 185°F.
The wax is formulated for sensitive skin and won’t cause any irritation and as there are no strips, just the wax cooling and removing the hair, it won’t leave any waxy residue.
- Suitable for use all over the body, includes a wax formulated for the face
- Reusable kit, no wastage
- Formulated for sensitive skin
- Won’t leave a waxy residue
- Comes with everything you need, including multiple types of wax, 20 spatulas and the wax heater
- Can be easy to burn the skin if not cooled to the correct temperature, so ensure you are using it correctly
Is Full Face Waxing Safe?
It is safe to wax your full face, but whether it’s recommended depends on your hair type. If you have thicker hair all over your face, then it’s perfectly safe to wax all over.
However, if you have finer hair on places such as the forehead, then it’s probably not advised to wax these areas as the wax may end up removing the skin rather than the hair as it’s not thick enough to cling on to.
You should also not wax your face if you have skin conditions such as acne or eczema as these conditions can make your skin hypersensitive and waxing can damage your skin even further. You should also avoid waxing if your skin is sunburnt, or if you have any moles or wounds on your face.
Should I Get My Face Waxed By A Professional?
Whilst waxing at home can be fairly easy to do, you have to ensure that you follow all the instructions correctly to avoid injuring your skin. There can be a few side effects when it comes to waxing your face.
- Redness and Irritation – facial waxing can cause redness and irritation after use and your skin may be sensitive to the touch. You should also avoid using any skincare ingredients that contain alcohol or astringents whilst your skin settles down.
- Pain – pain is inevitable with waxing, whether you do it at home or get it done by a professional, the amount of pain depends on how sensitive your skin is.
- Rashes and Bumps – these can occur after waxing, but are usually temporary. You can apply a calming cream to soothe these effects.
- Bleeding – sometimes bleeding can occur after waxing, but again this is completely normal.
- Burning – if you use an at home waxing kit, such as the one mentioned above, it can be easy to burn your skin if you do not let the wax cool correctly. This can be avoided by following the instructions and doing your research before embarking on your waxing journey.
Licensed professionals will know your skin type and employ the best techniques to avoid side effects. There is also less chance of burning as they know what they’re doing.
However, if you decide to wax at home then the more you do it, the better you will get at it.
Can I Use Body Wax On My Face?
You should not use body wax on your face, there is a reason that there are different types of waxes made for different parts of your body. Wax that is made especially for your face is much more gentle than that made for your body and the skin on your face is much thinner and more delicate, so therefore it requires a different formulation of wax.
Body wax tends to exfoliate your skin as well as just removing your hair, so using this wax on your face can be a bad idea. Body wax can lead to increased sensitivity and damage to the skin.
Facial wax is also formulated to work on shorter hair, meaning you don’t have to wax over the same area twice. The strips also tend to be a lot smaller, to fit those hard-to-reach places, such as the upper lip.
After reading this article, I hope you’ve found all the information you were looking for. If you’re unsure about waxing your face at home, do your research and follow instructions carefully. There are plenty of informational videos on YouTube, such as this one here. Good luck!